Bringing new crops to light by looking below ground
September 28, 2021 at 6:30 pm | Updated April 15, 2022 at 4:34 pm | < 1 min read
Exploring emerging crops in Florida with the CI-600 In-Situ Root Imager.
Growing hops in the subtropics is no easy task, but with real-time root data from the CI-600 In-Situ Root Imager, Dr. Shinsuke Agehara and his team at University of Florida are developing a holistic understanding how unique environmental factors could make Florida an optimal emerging region for growing the crop–spurring the development of entirely new industry opportunities in the state.
An expert in plant stress physiology, Dr. Agehara is uniquely positioned to bring a crop ordinarily grown in the more temperate U.S. region of the Pacific Northwest to Florida’s subtropical climate. “It’s not easy to grow hops here, so there is a lot to figure out” says Agehara, “our goal is to maximize production in each season by optimizing crop management practice and supplemental lighting…so we have to redevelop the optimal nutrient program [and] optimal plant spacing.” Using a combination of rhizotron boxes and a substantial installation of 30-40 CI-600 minirhizotron tubes, his team of scientists are able to consistently examine root morphology and behavior in the sandy soils and sometimes violent weather native to the region.
Related ProductsCI-110 Plant Canopy Imager CI-202 Portable Laser Leaf Area Meter CI-203 Handheld Laser Leaf Area Meter CI-340 Handheld Photosynthesis System CI-710s SpectraVue Leaf Spectrometer CI-602 Narrow Gauge Root Imager CI-600 In-Situ Root Imager
Most Popular Articles
- Transpiration in Plants: Its Importance and Applications
- How to Analyze Photosynthesis in Plants: Methods and Tools
- Leaf Area – How & Why Measuring Leaf Area…
- Forest & Plant Canopy Analysis – Tools…
- The Importance of Leaf Area Index (LAI) in…
- The Forest Canopy: Structure, Roles & Measurement
- Irrigating with Saline or Seawater
- Cadmium Toxicity in Plants
- Root Respiration: Importance and Applications
- Crop Water Use Efficiency Explained
Request a quote for a CID Bio-Science product
Pricing and all related materials will be sent directly to your inbox.