Researchers can perform non-destructive measurements on leaves of living plants by simply sliding the scanner over the leaf, enabling collection of data from the same plant, or even the same leaf, throughout its life span. Precise leaf area measurement of even tender leaves is possible by employing a transparent sheath for protection.
- Our most popular leaf area meter
- Precise and accurate
- Fast, non-destructive measurements
- Durable and lightweight
- Ideal for field use
- Stores over 8000 data points
- Download data to computer
The CI-202 directly measures length, width, area, and perimeter thru calculating ratio and shap factor after the measurement is completed.
Each time the control unit detects that the scanner has progressed 1 mm, the computer will check to see if the width reading is non-zero.
If the width measurement is non-zero, the computer takes the following actions:
- The length measurement is increased by 1 mm.
- The width measurement is added to the area accumulator.
- If the width measurement is greater than the currently stored maximum width, the maximum width is updated.
Computing Ratio and Shape Factor
Aspect ratio and shape factor information can be easily calculated from the other information gathered. These derived quantities are calculated whenever necessary for the purposes of display or data dumping. The calculations used are shown below.
Aspect ratio is the ratio of the leaf length to its maximum width. It can be calculated from the equation:
Shape factor is the ratio of the leaf area to the leaf perimeter, corrected so that the shape factor of a circle is equal to 1. It can be calculated from the equation:
- Non-destructive measurement
- Measures area, length, width, and perimeter and calculates shape factor and aspect ratio
- High resolution of 0.1 mm
- No calibration required
- Stores up to 8,000 single measurements
- Easy to use
- Lightweight and self-contained instrument with built-in data logger and LCD display
- Rechargeable battery
- USB port transfers data to computer
- Measuring Thickness: 15 mm maximum
- Measuring Width: 150 mm maximum
- Measuring Length: 36 cm
- Scanner: 670 nm LASER
- Resolution: 0.01 mm²
- Accuracy: ±1% for samples >10 cm²
- Interface: USB 2.0
- Memory Size: 8,000 measurements
- Display: 16 characters × 2 lines LCD
- Scanning Speed: 200 mm / second
- Battery: 7.2 volt rechargeable NiMH
- Battery Capacity: Over 250 scans per charge
- Operating Temperature: 0-50° C
- To measure a leaf, simply lift the transparent film, place the leaf on the board, and slide the scanner over the board. The CI-202 yields instant results for leaf area, length, width, perimeter, ratio, and shape factor measurements.
- Non-destructive measurement may be performed while the leaf is still attached to the plant.
- Over 8,000 data readings can be stored or transferred to a computer.
The CI-202 includes:
- Palette style scan board
- Laser scanner with built-in control unit
- Internal batteries
- Battery charger
- Communication software
- One additional transparent film
- Operating manual
- Hard-shell instrument carrying case